Do You Remember?
- Sprinkling laundry and refrigerating it in a plastic bag before ironing? Do you even remember ironing?
- Cars not having air-conditioning, turn signals, seat belts nor heaven help us, cup holders?
- Dialing a telephone, i.e., spinning that dial with one finger?
- Car hops who delivered your food order which you then ate in the car?
- Visiting folks without calling before dropping in?
- When you kept up with relatives and friends by writing letters, known today as snail mail?
- Blue Laws which required businesses to stay closed on Sunday? And, then later when they were allowed to open only after church “let out” at noon?
- Women not wearing pants to church or much of anywhere else? I remember the first nurse who wore a pants uniform in our city. There was an article and photo in the local newspaper!
- When cameras had both film and flashbulbs?
- When schools had recess?
- Books were not audible?
- When passengers smoked on airplanes during flight?
- Farmers (usually the wife) killing their chickens for food?
- When unwanted pets were “dropped”? Sadly, it still happens today. Here’s one named Jackson that was fortunate enough to be found and adopted.
And the list could go on and on. I make no judgment. For the most part, I like the ways things are today and I love technology. That does not mean I don’t grow nostalgic at times thinking about how some things were in the past.