8. April had a baby.
On April 15 the calf, reportedly a male, was born. It was thrilling to watch the delivery and the newborn appeared healthy. Apparently we have seen the last of him, because the camera has not been live streaming for the past 24 hours. As many others, I have been concerned by some aspects of this fun experience. The giraffe pens look small and Upstate NY is not a normal environment for this species. The park has made well over $135,000 with a GoFundMe account, in addition to charging for such privileges as submitting a name in the naming contest. I have boycotted circuses for most of my adult life and am conflicted by zoos, but this is an “animal park,” so perhaps is not even as well equipped as an actual zoo. Not having visited this establishment, I have no evidence that its animals are not being well cared for, but I have questions.
9. Alot is not a word. It is not, even though a lot of people believe otherwise.
10. I am no Oprah. Oprah speaks and people listen. Oprah advertises and people buy. Oprah recommends and people read. Oprah is self-assured and wealthy. I am neither.
11. CPR does not always work. Sadly, I know this first hand.
12. Grandparents are not infallible. Last weekend I saw a grandfather spaying weedkiller all over the yard, entusiastically squirting every dandelion. I thought how sad it was that honeybees would not be safe collecting pollen on those round circles of sunshine. Then only minutes later, to my amazement, I saw the grandmother accompany three little preschoolers into the yard with brightly colored buckets to hunt Easter Eggs.
“So cling tightly to the pursuit, but hold your conclusions loosely.”
What I Know for Sure 1 & 2
- There are few things of which I am 100% sure, but one of those certainties is the fact that I love my family with all my heart.
- Having time alone is a necessity for me, but I sometimes forget how much I need to be with people.
- Native Americans should not be called Indians.
- Dish towels and dish cloths should be laundered separately, i.e., not with underwear.
- April is not delivering in March.
- Love at first sight is a real phenomenon.
- Depression should be renamed.